Friday, September 14, 2012
Opps! There is really no excuse for the neglect I have bestoed upon my blog.
However although I have nelected to write here I have not completely neglected my fabric stash and passion for fashion.
This skirt is a recent addition to my developing wardrobe for the upcoming summer. The fabric, bought *cough* last summer on my trip to Sydney sat patiently while I focused on my university studies, until about 3 months ago when I casually decided that this skirt was the skirt. The skirt that I must wear for a date the coming Saturday. Due date established I furiously set to work cutting, sewing, tacking, sewing, unpicking, and resewing until finally Friday night, wala! Skirt finished, and in time fore the big night! I have to admit I was sceptical about my ability to finish it in time. I wanted it to be perfect so I could casually say oh yeah it was nothing (despite the hours of labour I had put into making it.)
I followed the pattern closely making slight alterations to make the waist smaller to fit my own. The waist was cut at a size 8 tapering out to a size 10 for a fuller skirt effect. The main complication in the construction was in the waistband, the fabic has a beautiful indented square design, and in fusing the interface to the front of the waistband this design was flattened. To fix this I changed the interfaced piece to the inside of the skirt having the "lining" on the outside so the indented fabric could shine in all its glory.
Skirt: Burda style 7370
Wrap Cardigan: Metalicus
Thursday, February 24, 2011
Modifications Made: Believe it or not but I kept relatively to the pattern. As you can see I used the length of skirt A. This was because I wasn’t left with much material to work with limiting the skirt length. However I still feel it work out very nicely.
What I’m proud of: The detail on the waist belt front. Creating the detail in the material before cutting from it I produced the detail by folding the fabric under 1 cm then using a zipper foot secured the fold at the top and bottom. There is a measured 0.5 cm gap between the bottom of the 1st fold and the start of the next. Also the finishing on this skirt was impressive to other sewing projects of this period. The side seams have been over locked and I bothered binding the bottom hem and hand stitching it up. This note to detail earned me one of my first genuine compliments on my sewing skills from my boyfriends ( a very proud day!)
What I would improve: At the back of the skirt the waist belt seam… doesn’t match up! Lesson learnt for next time. Always pin important seams and details together before sewing up the seam. Never match the bottom of the skirt, cutting out patterns is never really 100% accurate one side might be longer then the other. This results in un matching waist belt seams or what ever else depending on the garment, fabric and/or pattern.
SingleTop: wardrobe refashion (originally:SES)
Denim Jacket: Portmans
Beach: Whitfords Nodes Beach.